C.H. Spurgeon

Sinners, let me address you with words of life; Jesus wants nothing from you, nothing whatsoever, nothing done, nothing felt; he gives both work and feeling. Ragged, penniless, just as you are, lost, forsaken, desolate, with no good feelings, and no good hopes, still Jesus comes to you, and in these words of pity he addresses you, "Him that cometh unto me I will in no wise cast out."

Comment Policy: No profanity or blasphemy will be posted. You do not have to agree, but if you would like your comment posted, you will have to adhere to the policy.


Monday, August 06, 2007

Seeing Our Sin In Others

I initially thought of this concerning one point, but now I believe I have come to realize two observations which can be taken from this thought. Or, at least I have been thinking of the following:

1] Scripture speaks about getting the beam out of your own eye before trying to get the mote out of another’s eye [Matthew 7]. With this in mind, and the observation that most of us find it easier to locate, examine, and point out another’s faults (sins) over our own, I would like to consider the idea that maybe we could actually use this to our own benefit.

I realize, at first, this may sound contradictory to Scripture and that I might be suggesting that we should go around judging others and expounding to them concerning all of their sins that they need to repent of. Actually, what I am considering does include judging, but of self with the help of others.

My suggestion to myself is that when I see what I believe to be sin (or more importantly what Scripture deems as sin) in another’s life (by actions seen), I should first examine myself and see if I hold the same sin in my life. If, upon honest examination of myself, I find that I do indeed also have this sin (or thoughts/actions) in my life, I should take what I would rather tell/give the other person and apply it to myself first. By this, I should be able to bring myself to repentance, by reminding myself that I and the one whom I have mentally judged are both sinners and both need repentance toward God and forgiveness of sins we equally commit. This way, I can focus on the fact that I am not okay in my sin or simply better than this person whom I am quick to judge, but that we are both equally short of the glory of God in our thoughts and actions. We both need the grace and mercy of God found in the atonement for sin provided by Jesus Christ, through putting faith in His work and not our own.

2] Another thought I suppose is when we see sins in persons (children or adults) which resemble our own. What I mean is when we see the expressions, thoughts, and actions of children, teenagers, and adults which appeared to be close or (for some reason or another) look up to us as an example. Are we giving them the proper example, or are we causing others to sin because they are watching us and we fail (because we don’t study to know better, or know better but simply fail to act better). Basically are we teaching them to sin or do right by our example?

I realize that their eyes should be on Scripture and the example of Christ, but I dare say there is most likely no one among us that does not look to someone (whether truly consciously or not) and mimic their ideas and actions as our own if we, by chance, consider them to be above us in intelligence, prestige, spirituality, etc. (even though that may only be our personal perception based on nothing at all).


In both of these thoughts, I can’t help but see if we would first examine ourselves with the sin we easily find in others, we could not only help our own spiritual condition and Christian walk, but also find love and compassion to help others with the same.

1 comment:

Travis Foulks said...

Yes! How true it is. Until we are able to not commit sin we are, by the word if God, not able to help out others on the same sin. We have no place to. Sin should never be embraced.
How ever lets say we do use others sins to identify our sin. That is a huge tool for you and then for the one you learned of your own sin from. Until we know how to stop living with the sin that we are being enslaved by we cannot tell another how to be free from that burden.
Once we have located our sin and removed it we can then tell others about the victory we had and how Jesus strengthened us to overcome it. Then our example of a living Bible (the expression of obedance through us) they will be inclined to let you pray and share ideas on how to remove the sin they shared with you.
As for the second part of your post. Yes,everyone should always go to the Bible and prayer for guidance. However ,you have more than likely heard this before, We may be the only Bible that some people will ever read. Sad but true. If we live out the Bible we show many people who will never read the Bible the scriptures. When we fall and people are aware of it ,and they will be at times, we do not need to lay down and be crushed. We have to then show them how to overcome the sin that we struggled with. It all comes down to showing people through our lives what the Bible means. If we influence them let it be with what has been revealed to us and let them see the ways that we are instructed to go once we sin. That is far away from the sin as possible.
Excellent post

John Bunyan

To be saved is to be preserved in the faith to the end. 'He that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.' (Mt. 24:13) Not that perseverance is an accident in Christianity, or a thing performed by human industry; they that are saved 'are kept by the power of God, through faith unto salvation.' (1 Pet. 1: 3-6) But perseverance is absolutely necessary to the complete saving of the soul…. He that goeth to sea with a purpose to arrive at Spain, cannot arrive there if he be drowned by the way; wherefore perseverance is absolutely necessary to the saving of the soul.