C.H. Spurgeon

Sinners, let me address you with words of life; Jesus wants nothing from you, nothing whatsoever, nothing done, nothing felt; he gives both work and feeling. Ragged, penniless, just as you are, lost, forsaken, desolate, with no good feelings, and no good hopes, still Jesus comes to you, and in these words of pity he addresses you, "Him that cometh unto me I will in no wise cast out."

Comment Policy: No profanity or blasphemy will be posted. You do not have to agree, but if you would like your comment posted, you will have to adhere to the policy.


Monday, February 12, 2007

“I am a Christian, I just don’t act like it.”

I served in the United States Army from 1993 to 1998. My first duty station was in Vilseck, Germany in September 1993. I roomed with a follow soldier [2 to a room] that never once mentioned Christ to me.

Around the summer of 1994 I met a Christian by the name of Mark Powers that brought me to a Bible believing church that he traveled an hour each way to hear the Word of God preached.


September 25, 1994 Christ saved my soul after the Sunday morning preaching service.

I later ran into the soldier I was roomed with in the beginning and after talking a moment about Christ, he said, “I am a Christian, I just don’t act like it.”

The comparison of the above [assuming the first guy was indeed saved] shows two completely different examples of Christians. One never went to church or said a word about Christ until confronted by another Christian, whereas the other was a godly example and actively witnessing.

Have you ever sung the song entitled “I Have Decided to Follow Jesus”? [Variation]

Pay close attention to the words:

I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
No turning back, no turning back.

Though none go with me, I still will follow;
Though none go with me, I still will follow;
Though none go with me, still will follow;
No turning back, no turning back.

My cross I’ll carry, till I see Jesus;
My cross I’ll carry, till I see Jesus;
My cross I’ll carry, till I see Jesus;
No turning back, no turning back.

The world behind me, the cross before me;
The world behind me, the cross before me;
The world behind me, the cross before me;
No turning back, no turning back.

Have you really decided to follow Jesus? I mean really decided to follow Him with every fiber of your being? It is easy to talk the talk. I am sure we all know someone that claims to be a Christian, but falls short of “our” expectations. Of course, if we were honest, we too fall short of our example: Jesus Christ.

Where would you honestly consider yourself; with the first soldier or the second?

Are you a Christian that is hiding his light or a Christian that is lifting his light high in a world of darkness?

Do you find your actions saying "I am a Christian and proud of it" or “I am a Christian, I just don’t act like it”?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, ye old thyme humnals. How soon I'd like to forget them...

Splinters of Silver said...

Shall we remove all remembrance of the old for the sake of the new?

Anonymous said...

Yes, let the dead bury the dead.

If given a choice, would you kill an old person for the sake of a new born or kill the newborn for the sake of the old?

Splinters of Silver said...

Shall the new be anything without the knowledge of the old? Can the old live on without the coming of the new? I believe that they both deserve life in their own respect.

Bobby Cohoon said...

I am partial to the old hymns. Now, I like the new also, but the old ones seem to speak to my soul more. Maybe because I am old! :-)

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

John Bunyan

To be saved is to be preserved in the faith to the end. 'He that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.' (Mt. 24:13) Not that perseverance is an accident in Christianity, or a thing performed by human industry; they that are saved 'are kept by the power of God, through faith unto salvation.' (1 Pet. 1: 3-6) But perseverance is absolutely necessary to the complete saving of the soul…. He that goeth to sea with a purpose to arrive at Spain, cannot arrive there if he be drowned by the way; wherefore perseverance is absolutely necessary to the saving of the soul.